NetJapan, Inc., releases ActiveImage Protector v3.5 backup and
disaster recovery solution for the next generation which now includes
performance optimized inline data de-duplication.
May 10, 2012
NetJapan, Inc., developer of backup and disaster recovery software solutions, today releases the new version of ActiveImage Protector 3.5 (hereinafter referred to as “ActiveImage Protector 3.5 (AIP 3.5)”). A disc imaging backup / recovery solution for virtual / physical environments.
AIP 3.5 is the first(*)1 imaging backup solution that provides an Inline De-duplication / Compression feature which enables users to eliminate duplicate data and optimize storage utilization in order to solve the problem of expanding duplicate data on a day-to-day basis. Also, AIP 3.5 supports online storage which works with WebDAV, so that storage in a cloud environment may be specified as the destination to save backup image files.
The “ActiveImage Protector 3.5” family of products includes three editions, i.e., Virtual Environment Pack for virtual environments, Server Edition and Desktop Edition.
As a result of rising demand for disaster recovery (DR), there have been increasing requirements for businesses for an affordable backup solution that supports cloud environments and provides a replication feature that enables updating of data at the DR site while requiring less storage space.
Data de-duplication is drawing attention as the technology to reduce backup storage needs. However, it's perceived that inline data de-duplication degrades system performance. Therefore, an expensive storage system is needed for the typical post process data de-duplication solution so that backup and data de-duplication can be performed separately.
ActiveImage Protector 3.5, with its own inline data de-duplication technology improves backup storage utilization while ensuring optimum system performance allowing high-speed backup while minimizing backup storage needs. AIP 3.5 virtually eliminates the need for an expensive storage system. 。
New Features of AIP 3.5
・ Inline De-duplication / Compression feature improves backup storage
- ActiveImage Protector 3.5 is the first(*) imaging backup solution that eliminates duplicate data blocks. ActiveImage Protector 3.5 backs up an entire volume or a disk utilizing inline data De-duplication to create a backup image. In virtual environments where duplicate data are rapidly increasing or the system environment where program updates have been downloaded over and over again for long periods of time, the use of ActiveImage Protector 3.5 enables users to efficiently eliminate duplicate data and compress image files at high compression rate so that backup storage needs can be reduced significantly(**).
- ・ Multiple Disk Backup in One Image
- In order to further enhance the effect of the Inline De-duplication / Compression feature, the Multiple Disks in One Image feature is provided.
With the earlier versions of ActiveImage Protector, a backup image file was created by selecting a volume or a disk. Now, the use of the Multiple Disks in One Image function helps enhance de-duplication / compression performance(***).
- ・ Support for cold backup of VMware ESXi 5
- ActiveImage Protector 3.5 supports the cold backup of ESXi 5 hosts. Since AIP 3.5 supports Smart Sector Backup (to back up only used sectors) and provides Inline De-duplication / Compression features in VMFS, backup storage requirements can be minimized.
Also, the restore of the entire ESXi host image enables the boot up of the ESXi host, in the case of entire virtual infrastructure recovery, the system can be restored at blazing speed.
- ・ Support for WebDAV which works with cloud environments
- As the backup image replicating destination, online storage which supports WebDAV can be specified. Since backup image files may be replicated to storage in a cloud environment, it enhances cost performance and improves convenience.
(*) According to our own research
(**) According to our own test, Inline De-duplication / Compression of AIP 3.5 can
compress data up to 50% smaller than original data.
(***) According to our own test, the use of Multiple Disk in One Image function
enabled to compress data 5% smaller than de-duplicated / compressed data.
What is ActiveImage Protector ?
ActiveImage Protector is a backup and recovery solution with the latest sector-based disk imaging technology. ActiveImage Protector is designed to flexibly support a variety of small to large system environments ranging from legacy machines such as Windows 2000 Server to the latest physical / virtual Windows / Linux machines.
As it provides an easy-to-use user interface, you can backup / restore your system easily, securely and surely without the need of specialized skills or additional trainings. ActiveImage Protector has already been introduced to a number of businesses and is highly evaluated as one of the major disaster recovery solutions.
The following are the main features:
- Hot imaging backup of an entire disk including OS, data, applications without shutting down the system.
- Cold imaging backup of the product-CD booted system volumes
- “Smart Sector” technology enables fast backup of only used sectors which uses less disk space.
- Fast incremental backups of only the sectors that have changed since the last full or incremental backup image was written.
- Consolidation of multiple incremental / differential backup files into a single backup file.
- Unification combines a full base image file and all associated incremental files into a single backup file.
- Command Line Interface allows backups to be administered by systems management tools.
- Fast, secure, and easy sector-based disk imaging backup and restore.
- Recovery environment built on the latest version of Windows PE supports a wide variety of storage devices.
- Throttling backup task The use of Throttling function enables users to raise or lower system resource usage priorities in which the backup task runs. This function also allows users to throttle network bandwidth usage.
- Bad Sector Skip function
- Disk to Disk Copy function
- Fast bare metal recovery (BMR)
Detailed Product Information and System Requirements
For more detailed product information and system requirements, please refer to ActiveImage Protector’s site : http://activeimage.jp/
Retail Price and Sales Projection
The pricing schedule for a license of ActiveImage Protector 3.5 with “De-duplication / Compression” feature is listed below. Please note a license of ActiveImage Protector 3.5 is priced the same as the previous version for its release campaign until September 30, 2012.
|Product Name||Special Price set for
Sales Promotion Campaign
until September 30, 2012
|ActiveImage Protector 3.5 Server Edition 1〜4 licenses||\124,700 / license|
|ActiveImage Protector 3.5 Server Edition 5〜9 licenses||\116,600 / license|
|ActiveImage Protector 3.5 Server Edition 10〜24 licenses||\109,000 / licenses|
- For more detailed pricing schedule, please visit NetJapan’s home page at http://activeimage.jp/archives/price.
- If you have an effective annual support service contract, and you are a registered user of a previous version of ActiveImage Protector Virtual / Server / Desktop Edition, your AIP may be upgraded to the respective edition of AIP 3.5 free of charge.
NetJapan Inc., distributes ActiveImage Protector 3.5 through authorized system integrators, business partners, major distributors’ online shops, and BizNetJapan (https://biznetjapan.jp/) run by NetJapan Inc. Annual sales of \700,000,000 is projected.
- For sales or customer support please contact Corporate Sales Dept., NetJapan Inc.
（TEL）03-5256-0877 （FAX）03-5256-0878 E-mail：firstname.lastname@example.org
- ©2012 NetJapan, Inc. All rights reserved.
- ActiveImage Protector is a registered trademark of NetJapan Inc. ReZoom is a trademark of Rectiphy Corporation.
- Other brands and product names mentioned in this new release are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- Screen images are available to download from： http://www.netjapan.co.jp/nj/press/e_images/