NetJapan, Inc., releases ActiveImage Protector v3.5 for Hyper-V with
ReZoom™ backup and disaster recovery solution for the next generation
which now includes performance optimized inline data de-duplication
as from June 7, 2012.
June 7, 2012
NetJapan, Inc., developer of backup and disaster recovery software solutions, releases the new version of ActiveImage Protector 3.5 for Hyper-V with ReZoom™(hereinafter referred to as “ActiveImage Protector (AIP)”, a disc imaging backup / recovery solution specialized for Hyper-V environments.
AIP is the first (*) imaging backup solution that provides an Inline De-duplication / Compression feature which enables users to eliminate duplicate data and optimize storage utilization in order to solve the problem of rapidly increasing duplicate data on virtual machines in Hyper-V environment.
Server virtualization technology continues to proliferate, which allows to save operational costs by downsizing the number of physical servers and reducing manpower cost for server maintenance while requiring less power. A typical virtual environment can be configured to run 10 virtual machines on a single physical host.
A variety of backup solutions for virtual machines have been introduced, however, not enough attention was paid to backup / disaster recovery of virtual host. In fact, backup operations on virtual hosts take long in time and present a serious problem of unexpected increase in storage demand.
ActiveImage Protector is a imaging backup / restore solution optimized for Microsoft Hyper-V and provides hot image backups of the Hyper-V host along with all guest virtual machines and applications. Backups of Hyper-V host require more storage size, if you compare them to backups of a single server. While backups of a Hyper-V host include duplicate data of virtual machines, the use of Inline De-duplication / Compression feature enables users to eliminate duplicate data and compress image files at high compression rate so that backup storage needs can be reduced significantly. On top of these benefits, it's notable that ActiveImage Protector, with its own inline data de-duplication technology ensures optimum system performance to allow high-speed backup.
ActiveImage Protector’s ReZoom™ technology lets you restore individual virtual machines from a backup image of Hyper-V host. The use of ActiveImage Protector allows you to eliminate troublesome management of traditional backup software which needed to be installed on individual virtual machines and backup images of the respective virtual machines.
New Features of AIP 3.5
- ・ Inline De-duplication / Compression feature improves backup storage utilization
- ActiveImage Protector is the first1 imaging backup solution that eliminates duplicate data blocks. ActiveImage Protector backs up an entire volume or a disk utilizing inline data De-duplication to create a backup image. In Hyper-V virtual environments where duplicate data are rapidly increasing, the use of ActiveImage Protector enables users to efficiently eliminate duplicate data and compress image files at high compression rate so that backup storage needs can be reduced significantly(**)
Also, ActiveImage Protector, even with the use of inline data de-duplication technology, ensures optimum system performance to allow high-speed backup.
- ・ Multiple Disk Backup in One Image
In order to further enhance the effect of the Inline De-duplication / Compression feature, the Multiple Disks in One Image feature is provided.
With the earlier versions of ActiveImage Protector, a backup image file was created by selecting a volume or a disk. Now, the use of the Multiple Disks in One Image function helps enhance de-duplication / compression performance(***).
- ・ Multiple Destination ReZoom™（MDR）
- When you restore multiple virtual machines from an image file, you are now allowed to select the destination folders respectively for the restored virtual machines. Eventually, virtual machines may be restored to a specified destination which is different from the original location.
- ・ Support for WebDAV which works with cloud environments
- As the backup image replicating destination, online storage which supports WebDAV can be specified. Since backup image files may be replicated to storage in a cloud environment, it enhances cost performance and improves convenience.
- ・ VM Auto-Start Option
- Auto-start option is now available, so that you can configure additional settings for ReZoom’ed virtual machines or host server settings before booting up the virtual machines.
- ・ uEFI mother board / GPT (GUID partition table) are supported.
- The use of AIP enables users to backup and restore backup images by using its new Backup Disk Metadata function, and uEFI boot environment is now supported.
（*)According to our own research
（**)According to our own test, Inline De-duplication / Compression of AIP 3.5 can compress data up to 50% smaller than original data.
（***)According to our own test, the use of Multiple Disk in One Image function enabled to compress data 5% smaller than de-duplicated / compressed data.
Main Features of ActiveImage Protector
- Hot imaging backups of the Hyper-V host along with all guest virtual machines and applications without shutting down the system.
- Cold imaging backup of the product-CD booted system volumes while the system is stopped.
- “Smart Sector” technology enables fast backup of only used sectors which uses less disk space.
- Fast incremental backups of only the sectors that have changed since the last full or incremental backup image was written.
- ReZoom™ technology lets you restore individual virtual machines from the backup image of the entire Hyper-V host to the original Hyper-V host or on a different Hyper-V host (even on different hardware).
- Recovery environment built on the latest version of Windows PE supports a wide variety of storage devices.
- Disk to Disk Copy function
- Fast bare metal recovery (BMR)
System RequirementsFor more detailed system requirements, please refer to ActiveImage Protector’s site: http://activeimage.jp/products/hyper-v/system
Retail Price and Sales Projection
The pricing schedule for a license of ActiveImage Protector 3.5 for Hyper-V with ReZoom™and “De-duplication / Compression” feature is priced the same as the previous version for its release campaign until September 30, 2012.
|Product Name||Special Price set for
Sales Promotion Campaign
until September 30, 2012
|ActiveImage Protector 3.5 for Hyper-V with ReZoom™||\148,000/ license|
- For more detailed information about the pricing schedule, please visit NetJapan’s home page at: http://activeimage.jp/products/hyper-v/price
- If you purchased annual support service contract and you are a registered user of a previous version of ActiveImage Protector for Hyper-V with ReZoom™, your AIP product may be upgraded to the new version. 。
NetJapan Inc., distributes ActiveImage Protector 3.5 for Hyper-V with ReZoom™ through authorized system integrators, business partners, major distributors’ online shops, and BizNetJapan (https://biznetjapan.jp/) run by NetJapan Inc. Annual sales of \200,000,000 is projected.
- For sales or customer support please contact Corporate Sales Dept., NetJapan Inc.
（TEL）03-5256-0877 （FAX）03-5256-0878 E-mail：firstname.lastname@example.org
- Copyright 2012 NetJapan, Inc. All rights reserved.
ActiveImage Protector is a registered trademark of NetJapan Inc. ReZoom is a trademark of Rectiphy Corporation.
- Other brands and product names mentioned in this new release are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- For more detailed information about the product, please visit http://activeimage.jp/products/hyper-v/.
- Screen images are available to download from: http://www.netjapan.co.jp/nj/press/e_images/